// RECIPE //
- 4 cups of rolled oats (old fashioned, not instant!)
- 1 cup of chopped almonds
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- about 1/3 cup of brown sugar (more or less depending on preference)
- about 1/3 cup of maple syrup (more or less depending on preference; you can also substitute honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of melted butter OR coconut oil (or a combination)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil, silicone mat or parchment paper (for easier clean up)
- In a large bowl, toss together the rolled oats, nuts and seeds.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the honey, syrup or brown sugar (or a combination), butter and vegetable oil, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and ingredients are fairly well combined. Add the cinnamon, pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Mix until it slightly starts to bubble/boil (but too long)
- Pour the honey/butter/oil mixture over the oat & nut dry mixture and toss until evenly coated
- Spread granola mixture on cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola turns golden brown. Watch the last 10 minutes carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove, transfer to a large bowl and let cool.