With the weather heating up and the days growing longer (seriously, it doesn’t get dark here until 11pm) salads for dinner are a becoming the new norm. This salad is so yummy and full of ingredients I would never have thought to put together, but I guess that’s why I’m not in charge of the cooking around here. Side note, I learned that the Dutch word for poppy seed is ‘maanzaad’ which directly translates to moon seed. So I guess I know where poppy seeds come from now.
// RECIPE //
:: Prepare Chicken ::
- 12 ounces chicken, cubed (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan over med/high heat.
- Add chicken, salt and lemon pepper.
- Cook, stirring every 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through (approx. 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool while making salad dressing.
:: Prepare Salad Dressing ::
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon honey dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Place all ingredients in a jar and shake the shit out of it. Chill for 30 minutes.
:: Prepare Salad ::
- Cooked chicken
- 5 ounces mixed greens of your choice
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed feta cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and give it a quick mix.
- Pour the desired amount of dressing over the salad and mix to coat the ingredients.
- Plate and serve.