We’re nearing the end of the week. That dreaded point when the thought of making an elaborate meal is just too damn exhausting, and ordering takeout seems lazy and unhealthy. If that is the case, this salad is the cure for your week end slump.
The teriyaki marinade comes from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook. A cookbook that I, admittedly, judged harshly due to the uninspiring cover and lack of photography. What can I say, I love pretty cookbooks! Fortunately, Aaron can see past that and it has since become a go-to source for healthy recipes and new inspiration.
The dressing and base ingredients were put together by Aaron and pair perfectly with the slightly tangy teriyaki chicken strips.
So gather up that last bit of motivation this week and make this easy and satisfying dish. You won’t regret it!
// RECIPE //
:: Prepare Citrus Teriyaki Marinade ::
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a jar and shake. (This can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.)
:: Prepare Salad Dressing ::
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. (Approximately makes enough for four large dinner salads.)
:: Prepare Salad ::
- 12 ounces chicken, cut in strips
- 3 cups mixed salad greens of your choice (we like spinach and arugula)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1/2 cup soy beans
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- Marinate chicken for 1 hour in teriyaki marinade.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil on a nonstick grill pan.
- Cook chicken on medium-high heat until cooked through and golden brown (about 3 minutes per side).
- Set aside and let cool.
- Place greens and veggies in a large bowl.
- Mix in dressing to coat the salad and vegetables.
- Split the salad between two plates and place chicken on top.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.