A great way to “beef up” your salads, especially if you’re making a dinner salad, is to add a grain to it. Quinoa is a good choice, but farro is our favorite. It’s a hearty and nutty grain that adds a lot to the flavor of the salad without overwhelming it. We included chicken, but you can easily make this a vegetarian meal by cutting that out and substituting the chicken stock when cooking the farro.
The farro and veggie mixture (without the greens) holds up really well in the fridge for a couple of days. Just add your greens when you’re ready to eat it, or enjoy it on its own. With the sturdy grain as its base, it’s a good alternative to a summer pasta salad.
// RECIPE //
:: Prepare Chicken ::
- 12 ounces of chicken, cubed (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan over med-high heat.
- Add chicken, salt and lemon pepper.
- Cook, stirring every 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Approx. 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
:: Prepare Farro ::
- 1/2 cup farro (will make about 1 cup cooked)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until farro is al dente.
- Drain farro and let cool.
:: Prepare Dressing ::
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pull all ingredients in a jar and shake the shit out of it.
:: Prepare Salad ::
- cooked chicken
- cooked farro
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup cubed feta
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- spinach (or your favorite green)
- Place all ingredients, except greens, in a bowl and pour on the desired amount of dressing (Meghan likes less. Aaron likes more. It’s a constant battle). Mix together.
- On two plates or shallow bowls, create a bed of spinach.
- Split chicken and farrow salad mixture between the two plates and serve.